Sunday, October 26, 2014

Crumbly Apple Pie





My sister-in-law turned  me on to these recipe books years ago, when I first met my husband.  They are classic and everything is amazing...the pumpkin roll is out of this world...



I did tweak a thing or two in my version of the recipe tho..always add a pinch of cardamom and I like some walnuts in my apple pie crumbs.
I also slightly upped the sugar..go figure!  lol
I have been making this pie for 23+ years now.
If you have an apple peeler corer slicer, you are golden!  This thing is a major time saver. I have a pampered chef brand one for 20+ years now...but this one is cheaper and my friend has it and uses it with great success..

Crumbly Apple Pie

Flaky Pie Crust (recipe below)

make pie crust below and put into pie pan

In a large bowl..
peel core and slice 5 apples (macintosh is my go to for baking, use your fav)
3/4 C white sugar
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch cardamom
dash salt
 mix apples well to coat with the sugary deliciousness.

Pour into crust...

In food processor (or a bowl using a pastry knife to cut butter)
1 C brown sugar
1 C flour
1/2 c walnuts (optional)
1/3 C butter( I use a little more, I'm out of control)
whirl in food processor until grainy
sprinkle over..okay dump...and push it around until its evenly distributed.

Bake in 400° preheated oven on the bottom rack (rack all the way in bottom level) for 35 mins....I put a crust shield over it after 25-30 mins to prevent the crust edges from over browning.

Flaky Pie Crust

3 C flour
1 tsp salt
1 C (scant) shortening
6 tbsp water

I put all of this in the food processor...you can cut it together by hand with a pastry blender if you prefer.
dump out onto counter and form into a ball making sure its all moistened..cut into three parts and roll out.
You can bake this ahead of time for tarts....I do not pre-bake for this apple pie.

before baking

This thing doesn't fit all of my pie plates but it covers enough. 

Some things that will make your pride making experience easier, of course you're welcome to use premade piecrusts, and having an apple peeler corer slicer or is a huge timesaver.
I am going to make a few more this week, we are drowning in apples so I will take more pics when I make it again, and update this post.  

No comments: